JASON BARTLETT has over fifteen years of experience in intellectual property litigation, commercial arbitration, and licensing. His engagements have involved a broad range of technologies and industries. In computers and consumer electronics, he has litigated and advised companies on design and utility patents relating to smartphone software and hardware, cellular telecommunications standards, self-balancing human transporters (“hoverboards”), drones, human-computer interfaces, global positioning systems, computer animation software, and field programmable gate array hardware. In the life sciences, he has experience with monoclonal antibody therapeutics and diagnostics, vaccines, and medical devices.
Jason has represented clients in matters in the U.S. District Courts, the International Trade Commission, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Tokyo District Court, and a variety of international arbitral fora.
Jason has extensive experience representing clients in Asia and spent four years practicing in Tokyo. Jason joins MKW from Morrison & Forester where he was a partner in that firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Some of Jason’s representative matters include:
- Smartphone Litigation
Member of team that successfully tried a high‐profile smartphone case in the Northern District of California leading to a jury verdict of over $1 billion.
- GPS Patent Arbitration
Co‐lead counsel in JAMS patent arbitration relating to GPS tracking technology.
- Computer Animation Litigation
Lead counsel in district court litigation involving technology for realistic simulation of large geometric systems.
- eCommerce Startup Litigation
Lead counsel in district court litigation involving dispute arising among former founders of ecommerce startup.
- Self-Balancing Transporter Intellectual Property Landscape and Analysis
Advise self-balancing transporter startup regarding intellectual property landscape and develop intellectual property strategy for new products.
- Cellular Telecommunications Standards Arbitration
Counsel in arbitration involving cross-border technology license to patents claiming cellular telecommunications standards.
- Vaccine‐related Technology License Dispute
Lead counsel for global health organization in dispute and license negotiations pertaining to vaccine‐related technologies.
- Medical Device Patent Litigation
Counsel for defendant in Northern District of California medical device patent case involving blood glucose sensors.
- Hastings College of the Law (J.D.,1998, cum laude)
- University of California, Davis (B.A. 1995, Economics)
- Patent Litigation, 3rd edition, Co-author, Chapter on “Case Strategy and Management” Practicing Law Institute, October 2015
- Bartlett, Jason and Jorge L. Contreras, “Rationalizing FRAND Royalties: Can Interpleader Save the Internet of Things”, 36 Rev. Litig. (2017 forthcoming)
- Conference on Patent Damages, University of Texas School of Law (Austin, TX, June 2016): “Interpleader and FRAND Royalties” (presented paper)
- Patent Law Institute 2016 (10th Annual), April 2016 (New York), May 2016 (San Francisco) Faculty: Anatomy of a Design Patent Case